The philosophy of hospice care is focused on preserving the quality of life. Our goal is to minimize suffering and enhance comfort through pain management and symptom control for people diagnosed with a life-limiting illness.
By tending to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of our patients and their families, we offer comfort and support when it matters most. Our hospice team members work together to provide the most beneficial care and support.
Vinney Hospice of Montefiore offers its signature care in private homes, at Montefiore and in other healthcare and assisted living facilities.
Hospice Care Services
- Hospice nurse available 24/7
- Psychosocial and spiritual support for the patient, family members and loved ones
- Continuity of care by an interdisciplinary team of experts led by a medical director
- Bereavement counseling and support
- Personalized plan of care with the patient and family
- Integrative therapies such as art, massage, music and Reiki
- Spiritual care provided by certified Jewish and Christian chaplains
Hospice Caregiver Team
- Medical Director
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Social Workers
- Spiritual Counselors
- Home Health Aides
- Reiki Therapists
- Music Therapists
- Art Therapists
- Bereavement Specialist
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists
How to Reach Us
Call 216.910.2650. A nurse is on call and just a visit or a phone call away 24/7 for urgent needs such as uncontrolled pain, nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, a significant change in the patient’s condition or questions about medication.
Our normal hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm.
For non-urgent needs such as questions about insurance, benefits or other administrative matters, call the hospice office at 216.910.2650 during regular business hours.
Under hospice, the patient’s own physician will continue to direct care, under the guidance of the hospice staff who make frequent visits. The hospice medical director is available to provide ongoing consultation to the hospice team and primary care physician.
A hospice nurse is assigned to each patient and family to oversee the total care of the patient.
This specially trained nurse will:
- Make scheduled home visits
- Make visits for urgent needs
- Work closely with your physician to control pain and other symptoms
- Teach family members and caregivers how to best take care of the patient
- Coordinate and supervise hospice home health aides
- Evaluate the home setting for safety
- Make recommendations for durable medical equipment such as a hospital bed, oxygen, bedside commode or wheelchair
Our hospice social workers assist patients and families with a wide variety of non-medical concerns, such as offering counseling and guidance, making an initial assessment visit and subsequent visits as required for support and case management, as well offering bereavement counseling and support. They are also available when possible to assist with urgent matters even after hours.
A dedicated and specially trained hospice rabbi and Christian chaplain serve our patients and families with spiritual support and guidance. They provide ongoing counseling and visitation and can coordinate with other clergy in the community.
Music and art therapists and Reiki practitioners provide supportive care to improve symptom management by helping to create a relaxing and nurturing environment.
Specially trained volunteers assist the patient and family by:
- Staying with the patient when the caregiver is away for short periods or while the caregiver rests
- Running errands
- Providing companionship to the patient or caregiver
- Overseeing the “Tuck-In” program with families to ensure there are adequate medical supplies and medications outside of nursing visits
- Acting as 11th hour volunteers who stay with patient to allow the family a period of respite in the late stages of the illness
Bereavement Services/Support Groups
The hospice bereavement program offers emotional and spiritual support during the grieving process. In coordination with Berkowitz Kumin Bookatz Memorial Chapel, Montefiore offers ongoing bereavement support groups to enable grieving family members to share their experiences with other people who are enduring their own personal loss. We encourage you to participate in the Vinney Hospice of Montefiore Memory Quilt as one way to uphold a cherished memory of a loved one.
A hospice staff member can help provide information about insurance reimbursement and application procedures for financial assistance to pay for care and room and board.
Costs and Insurance
A hospice staff member will explain Medicare’s and Medicaid’s hospice benefits to you. If your private insurance, of which most do, or Medicare or Medicaid covers the cost of hospice care, we will bill them directly.